Ratepayer information

Following adoption of the annual Budget at the beginning of each financial year, Council will issue rate assessment notices. This is an account for your annual rates, but also provides information about the property values used to calculate the rates on your property. Income from rates allows Council to proceed with works approved in the Budget.

A ratepayer may elect to pay rates in full, in two instalments, or in four instalments by simply completing the appropriate section on the notice and submitting that with the first instalment payment.

Payment in full or the first instalment must be paid within 35 days of the issue of the rate notice.

A late payment interest (7%pa calculated daily) charge will apply to any amount that is overdue 36 days after the rate notice is issued. Instalment administration fees and interest charges are applicable to ratepayers who elect to use the instalment plan. The fee is incurred to cover the cost of additional work in administering the instalment plan.

Formal procedures for collection of unpaid rates, including prosecution where necessary, apply where ratepayers do not meet their obligations.

Submissions are invited from any elector or ratepayer with respect to the proposed differential rates, and any related matters.

Statement of Objects and Reasons For Differential Rates 2023-24

How Do I Pay My Rates?

BPAY (Biller ID 47001)
Description of image Westpac Payway (Biller code 134858) 
Pay over the phone on (08) 9188 4444

In person at a Shire Administration Office

You may choose from several payment options:

  • Payment in full by a single instalment due 23 September 2022;
  • Pay in two (2) instalments:
    • Full payment and 1st instalment due date of 23 September 2022; and
    • 2nd instalment due date of 31 January 2023; or
  • Pay in four (4) instalments:
    • Full payment and 1st instalment due date of 23 September 2022;
    • 2nd instalment due date of 25 November 2022;
    • 3rd instalment due date of 31 January 2023; and
    • 4th instalment due date of 31 March 2023.

The Shire of Ashburton understands that financial hardship often makes it difficult to meet all financial commitments when they are due. Please contact the Shire of Ashburton’s Rates Officer at [email protected] to arrange a suitable payment arrangement to settle your rates debt by the end of the financial year.

Information From The Valuer General

Landgate has recently received enquiries from Local Governments regarding a ratepayer’s right to lodge a written objection within 60 days of the date of issue of a Rate Notice.

To ensure ratepayers can access the required information, Landgate suggests Local Governments may choose to include this information and a link from their websites.
To lodge a formal objection against rating and taxing valuations, ratepayers can visit the Landgate website.


Valuations of properties within the Shire have been supplied by the Valuer General which is the responsibility of the State Government. The Shire has no say in how your property is valued.

An objection against a valuation must be lodged with the Valuer General or at the Shire Offices within 42 days of receiving a Rate Assessment Notice. The lodgement of an objection does not alter the obligation to pay the full amount of rates by the date specified in the assessment notice.

Pensioner / Senior Rates Subsidies

Eligible Pensioners / Seniors who wish to avail themselves of the Government's rate rebate scheme must pay the required portion of the rates within the particular year for which the rates were levied. The Government will pay the balance of the rates to the Council. Please note that Council’s Rubbish Charge is not subject to the rebate and must be paid in full.

When claiming the rebate, Pensioners / Seniors are required by the Government to present their current concession card. Pensioners who do not wish to take advantage of the rebate may still continue to defer payment of rates as in the past. The deferment option is not available for Seniors

Those people who think they may be eligible should contact the Rates Officer as soon as possible for full details.

Emergency Services Levy 

The Emergency Services Levy (ESL) supports more than 26,000 fire and rescue, marine and emergency services volunteers and funds over 1,600 firefighters. Department of Fire and Emergency Services’ (DFES) staff provide 24/7 fire and emergency assistance across Western Australia.

Your ESL contribution is included within your local government rates notice. To learn more about how your ESL is calculated, including information on the different ESL rates, limits and concessions visit dfes.wa.gov.au/esl or download the ESL flyer.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why do I pay rates?

A: Council rates are supplemented by Government grants and fees revenue to cover the cost of supporting the community at a local level. If you have attended a picnic in the park, attended a local event, borrowed a book from the library, jogged around a sports ground or enjoyed a coffee in the mall, then you’ve benefited from Council services.

Q: How are my rates calculated?

A: The Shire applies a rate in the dollar that is multiplied by the valuation to obtain the rate amount for each property. A Gross Rental Valuation (GRV) is applied generally in town sites and suburbs and an Unimproved Valuation (UV) is applied in rural areas.
GRV represents the gross annual rental that a property might reasonably expect to earn annually if it were rented. This amount is determined by Landgate or the Valuer General and is generally revalued every three years.

Q: How do I notify of change of ownership of property?

It is essential to notify the Shire of your change of address or change of ownership in writing via email or mail whenever a change of details occurs. Under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1995 when a person (whether as principal or agent) sells or disposes of land, the owner/agent must advise the Shire in writing within 21 days of the change in ownership, giving full details of the purchaser. Please email [email protected] to make the relevant changes.