You should ensure that you are on the electoral roll at your current address, especially if you have just moved to the Shire. Electoral enrolment forms can be obtained from your Shire Office or The Western Australian Electoral Commission (WAEC) . For further details please contact Shire Administration Manager Lisa Hannagan on 9188 4447.

Australian Election Timetable

Enrol to vote 

In order to be enrolled for a Local Government Election you have to be one of the following:


You are already enrolled to vote in elections for the electorate in which you live if you are on the State electoral roll as a resident of that address. If you are not already on the State electoral roll and meet the eligibility criteria, a claim for enrolment should be made to any Divisional Returning Officer of the Australian Electoral Commission in Western Australia.

Owners and Occupiers

You are also eligible to be enrolled to vote in Local Government elections if you are a non-resident owner or occupier of rateable property in a particular electorate, provided that you are on a State or Commonwealth electoral roll. (For example, if you live in a metropolitan area but own property in the Shire of Ashburton you are able to vote in that Councils election.) However, remember that just because you own property and pay rates, it does not automatically allow you to vote at elections. It is essential that you lodge an enrolment form.

If you are not on a State or Commonwealth electoral roll, an enrolment claim can still be accepted provided you were on the last owners and occupiers roll for that electorate and have continued to own or occupy rateable property in the electorate continuously since that roll was prepared. To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, you will need to have a right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal instrument for at least the next 3 months following the date of the application to enrol.

Joint Owners and Occupiers

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners/occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.


A body corporate, which owns or occupies rateable property, may nominate two persons who are on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.

Last updated: 24 February 2015