Developments generally require some form of planning or building application.
Knowing if planning approval is required for your next project can be a challenge. Development within the Shire is guided by the Planning and Development Act 2005 and the Shire of Ashburton Local Planning Scheme No. 7.
The Shire has also developed a suite of statutory and strategic documents to encourage orderly and proper planning within the unique character of the Shire.
- Draft Local Planning Strategy
- Local Planning Polices
- Residential Design Codes (R-Codes)
- Endorsed Structure Plans; and
- Strategic Planning Documents
Find out more about the Shire of Ashburton Local Town Planning Scheme No. 7.
Items Requiring Planning Approval
The following are common items that require planning approval in the Shire of Ashburton.
- Development within or adjacent to heritage places or precincts.
- Variations to the Residential Design Codes, Local Planning Policies and the Local Planning Scheme.
- Commercial, Mixed Business and Industrial developments
Application for Development Approval
Below is our Application for Development Approval form. Please read through the forms carefully and ensure that a complete information package is supplied to the Shire at the time of lodgement.
If you are unsure of your planning requirements, you can contact our Planning team in a number of different ways.
- Visit the Shire office, we have a duty planner available each day.
- Phone the Planning Services Team
- Complete a Request for Written Planning Advice Form and pay a small fee.
Last updated: 24 November 2020