Onslow is a beautiful coastal town with a nice, sunny climate, particularly April-September. It is the oldest town in the Ashburton Shire, with a colourful history including pearl lugging and devastation by cyclone and Japanese bombing in World War II. Onslow will appeal to those with an avid interest in fishing, history and nature.
Sunrise and sunset beaches surround Onslow with their unique beauty. Visit the lookouts and take in the view of the islands. While Cyclone Vance affected this area, the Shire has reinstated most facilities.
The recently refurbished ruins of the Old Onslow townsite, the cemetery and remains of the jetty that served the sailing vessels are well worth a visit, as is the mighty Ashburton River. Onslow has a hotel with accommodation and meals available, two caravan parks with units and caravans for hire, as well as self-contained chalets and motel style rooms.
- Heritage Trail: Enjoy leisurely walks and charming historic insights
- Ian Blair Memorial Walkway: Extremely popular boardwalk from Beadon Point Lookout, through natural vegetation to Sunset Beach
- Termite Mound Viewing Area: Marvel at these prolific ant nests
- Bobby’s Tree: Iconic memorial 60km from town
- Onslow Salt: A colossal sight - produces up to 2.5 million tonnes/year!
- Good Shed Museum: Heritage listed and houses Onslow’s fascinating historical artifacts
- ‘Old Onslow’: Original town abandoned in 1925, now home to restored ruins
- Old police station: View the prison and jetty remains
- Staircase to the Moon: One of the best places in WA to view this beautiful optical
Illusion phenomenon over exposed mudflats
- Sunrise beach: fish, swim, snorkel, collect shells, boat ramp, beach shelter
- Sunset Beach: fish, swim, shell collecting, shaded picnic area, fish cleaning facilities, sunset viewing
- Four Mile Creek: fishing, crabbing, picnic, BBQ area, shaded shelter
- Secret Creek: recreation area and coastal access
- Ashburton River: fish, swim, picnic, bushwalking, camping
- Beadon Creek: fish at the Groyne
- Mackerel Islands Resort: fish, snorkel, family friendly, island holiday
- Fishing Charters: April to October - call: 08 9184 6644 for availability
PIcnic Area at Four Mile Creek
- Discovery Park Onslow
- Ocean View Caravan Park
- Ashburton River Camping Ground
- Onslow Beach Resort
- Mackerel Islands Resort (Thevenard & Direction Islands)
For further information contact the Onslow Visitors Centre
(08) 9184 6644
Last updated: 26 September 2017