Community Consultation re Tom Price Childcare Centre Location
Dec 02 2019
On 22 October 2019, Shire of Ashburton Councillors approved the proposed Childcare Centre and Co-location Emergency Services Facility locations within Lot 400 on South Road. Pending community support for the location, an application will be made to the Western Australia Planning Commission to subdivide a dedicated lot for the Childcare Centre. We are pleased to provide the opportunity for input into, and feedback on, the proposed development.
A new Childcare Centre has been a priority project for Council due to the restricted places available at the current facility due to the size. The new facility is proposed to be sited in the north-west corner of the lot. The new facility will cater for 66 long day care places and 30 out of school places.
Upon successfully securing the funding to design and construct the Childcare Centre, six preselected businesses will be invited to tender. Construction is projected to commence during July–September 2020 and is expected to take eight months to complete. Noise and dust controls during construction will be included in the works contract and be monitored regularly by Shire of Ashburton staff to minimise disruption to residents.
Design and construction is estimated to cost $5,950,000 and will be funded by Rio Tinto, the Shire of Ashburton and potentially, other external funding agencies. Some of the external features will include, but not limited to the following:
- Modern and aesthetically pleasing with a bright and welcoming atmosphere;
- Integration with adjacent facilities: people movement and servicing, aesthetics, external materials and colours;
- Environmentally sustainable design principles;
- Accessibility, car parking and facilities addressing the needs of people with physical disabilities;
- Safe pedestrian access inclusive of a drop off zone;
- Consideration of local climate conditions;
- Soft landscaping utilising water tolerant species, that are compatible with the childcare usage and local climatic conditions, incorporated into play areas to provide additional shade;
- Landscape treatments comprising pavers, concrete, soft fall and grassed areas;
- Reticulation to all grassed/landscaped areas and garden beds;
- Natural shade through native plantings along the building frontage and outdoor play areas;
- Shade to external play areas;
- Selection and location of finishes, plant and equipment based on ease of cleaning, servicing and replacement as well as compatibility with the childcare usage;
- The security of children, parents and staff is of prime consideration in the development. The design should demonstrate the requirements of “crime prevention through environmental design” documentation.
The Minutes in relation to the Childcare Centre can be found on Page 73 of the October Council Meeting Minutes
The Shire of Ashburton seeks submissions by 3PM, 12 December 2019, to the Chief Executive Officer at email@example.com. Alternatively, submissions can be mailed to:
PO Box 567
Tom Price WA 6751
For further information on this consultation, please contact Janelle Fell at Janelle.Fell@ashburton.wa.gov.au or 91884440.